ICD-10 coding and compliance remains a concern as facilities continue to adapt. Changing more than just the codes, ICD-10 impacts workflow, creating potential reductions in reimbursements. Given the complexity of the new coding system, some providers are anticipating significant cash flow disruptions, with productivity losses of 50% to 70%1. The implementation of ICD-10 requires an organized and detailed transition plan. McKesson Medical-Surgical offers options to assist with ICD-10 implementation and management, including reimbursement, compliance, and data outcomes. Contact us to learn how we can help your organization better prepare.
McKesson Business Performance Services
McKesson Business Performance Services (BPS) offers ICD-10 training and coding services that can help you avoid lost productivity and cash flow disruptions. With more than 500 certified, physician-only coders, along with experience in almost every specialty, we can help your organization successfully make the necessary changes in time for October 1, 2015.
Training and Education
Depending on your organization's need, we can develop customized training and education on key ICD-10 areas, including the timeline, how it differs from ICD-9, the use of modifiers and the financial and regulatory risks. McKesson BPS role-based training is intended to support staff across your organization, including clinical, billing, coding and practice management staff.
The transition to ICD-10 represents more than just a change to a code set, as the more stringent documentation requirements are expected to impact both clinical and practice management workflows. McKesson BPS' consulting team works with your organization to audit the current environment, assess gaps and develop a comprehensive implementation plan.
McKesson BPS certified coders can handle your ICD-10 coding while your staff is getting trained. BPS can also assist should you opt for a longer-term support arrangement.
athenahealth ICD-10 Services
- Transmission of paper and electronic ICD-10 compliant claims to all HIPAA-covered entities.
- Incorporation of ICD-10 Medicare medical necessity checks into athenahealth's patented Billing Rules Engine, as CMS makes them available.
- Transition from SNOMED to ICD-10 diagnosis codes directly within the athenaClinicals EHR, to send orders and create claims.
Click on the athenahealth link to learn about its readiness/no pay guarantee.
Medical billing can be a time-consuming aspect of managing a medical practice. Handling the administrative work involved with billing can overburden staff and resources, and hamper practice efficiency.
athenahealth's staff can take this work on for you working at scale to handle tedious administrative tasks to give you more control and to help maximize your potential collections.
- Checking eligibility for you: athenahealth maintains a library of insurance packages and real-time electronic eligibility connections to insurance payers and automatically submits eligibility checks at least three days before any scheduled appointment.
- Addressing remittance and image processing challenges: Your practice receives a secure, high-quality lockbox service from athenahealth that connects directly to their back-office service teams enabling streamlined reconciliation and posting.
- Managing claim resolution: Once a claim is successfully submitted, athenahealth continues working to facilitate payments by following up on claims that have passed the expected remittance period, researching payer denial trends, and identifying and preparing denied claims for resubmission.
- Simplifying provider credentialing: athenahealth can take on the work of initial provider setup and configuration, application submission and ongoing payer follow-up and maintenance. They can help prevent revenue delays due to expiring credentials, and support growing practices by getting new providers up and running with payers quickly.
Complimentary Resource Guide
Is Your Software Vendor Ready?
Proactively assessing a software vendor's readiness to accommodate the ICD-10 system is an important step for providers. Providers should not assume that vendors are or will be ready for the October 2015 deadline.
It is important to determine in advance the extent and nature of the vendor's preparations.
(1) KLAS 2013 Report: ICD-10 Consulting, Roadmap to a Successful Transition. To learn more about McKesson BPS, visit the McKesson BPS website.
(2) athenahealth will take on the burden of the ICD-10 transition for their practices with a combination of continuously updated cloud-based software, including a team of experts handling payer and interface outreach and testing. And, because athenahealth aligns their overall financial goals with yours, they put themselves at risk for your results.